Sylvia Acevedo, CEO of Girl Scouts of the USA, will join Girl Scouts of Colorado in celebrating “20 years of Amazing Women” at the annual Thin Mint Dinner in Denver. The event on October 19, 2017, at the Denver Marriott Tech Center will recognize all 426 Women of Distinction who have been honored in the Denver-metro area since the program began in 1997. Girl Scouts of Colorado will honor Sylvia as an honorary Woman of Distinction.
A lifelong Girl Scout herself, Sylvia is committed to Girl Scouts’ mission of building girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place. A former rocket scientist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Sylvia has held positions with some of the world’s most respected companies, including founder, president, and CEO of CommuniCard LLC, a marketing firm known for its innovative approaches to working with changing community demographics. A fierce advocate for education, Sylvia has also worked as a strategic consultant to national organizations that strive to improve outcomes with America’s rising generation of youth, as well as a national advocate for STEM education.
Since 1997, Girl Scouts of Colorado has honored top female leaders in our community as Women of Distinction, based on their remarkable achievements as business, community, and civic leaders. All 426 of these women are examples of corporate, civic, and philanthropic leadership and serve as role models for female leaders of tomorrow. The Women of Distinction program brings together a group of women dedicated to raising support for Girl Scout leadership programs.
To celebrate the 20th anniversary, seven Women of Distinction are being recognized. These Women of Distinction were voted by their peers, and will receive an award in the following categories at the 2017 Thin Mint Dinner:
- Advocacy for Youth – Elaine Gantz Berman ’02, Former Member, State Board of Education
- Progressive Community Leader – Juana Bordas ’03, President, Mestiza Leadership International
- Accomplished Philanthropist – Arlene Hirschfeld ’97, Community Volunteer
- Dedication to Girl Scouts – Jean C. Jones ’07, Former CEO, Girl Scouts Mile Hi Council
- Lifetime Achievement – LaRae Orullian ’97, Retired National President, Girl Scouts of the USA
- Advocate for Women & Girls – Jill S. Tietjen ’97, P.E., President and CEO, Technically Speaking, Inc.
- Commitment to Public Service – Hon. Elbra M. Wedgeworth ’04, Chief Government and Community Relations Officer, Denver Health
The Thin Mint Dinner is October 19, 2017, at the Denver Marriott Tech Center from 5:30 to 8: 30 p.m. The event includes Thin Mint cocktails and dessert made with Thin Mints, three-course meal, and event program.
Thank you to our 20th Anniversary Thin Mint Dinner Silver Presenting Sponsors: DISH and MDC Richmond American Homes Foundation, and Bronze Presenting Sponsor: CoBiz Financial. For information regarding tickets and sponsorships, visit girlscoutsofcolorado.org/woddenver or contact Heidi Books at 303-607-4833 or at email@example.com. Girl Scouts of Colorado volunteers may purchase discounted tickets for this event by contacting Carol Griffin at 303-607-4879 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.