For all girls in 7th- 12th grade, registration is now open for single event passes for the Outdoor Adventure Club’s Ski and Snowboarding weekend with an overnight at Tomahawk Ranch on Jan. 26, 2018 at 7 p.m. – Jan. 28 at 10 a.m.
What would a Colorado outdoor adventure program be without a ski day? We are excited to bring back this favorite event from last year’s OAC. This is one of our more ambitious events of the program year as we organize a charter bus, ski lessons, and manage our group of girls in a very busy public area. Due to these factors, some of our registration processes and event details for this event differs from other events.
- Registration Timeline: In order to reserve ski tickets, arrange lessons and order a charter bus for the correct number of participants, registration for will close on January 3. NOTE: After this point we will have reserved tickets, bus spots, and lessons. Any cancellations of single event passes that occur after this date will be not be given a refund. After January 3, we will post a full event letter to your CampInTouch account.
- Buddy Requests: We will honor one buddy request per girl for overnight cabin assignments, but ski/ snowboard groups will be determined by skill level and we can not guarantee girls will be with their buddy for ski groups – see below for more information.
- Ski/Snowboard Group: On Saturday, ski/snowboard groups will be split up based on the information submitted in the “OAC Skill Level” form submitted in your CampInTouch account. You are able to update this form at any point before January 3. Girls are welcome to snowboard, and should still rank their skill level of snowboarding on the form. NOTE: Girls attending with a single event pass MUST have ski experience of intermediate or higher, as we will not be providing lessons to single event pass purchases. Beginner lessons are being provided as part of the passport program. Due to the high cost of lessons, this is not an option for single event purchases.The intermediate and advanced ski/snowboard groups will be in small groups with two Girl Scout staff members or volunteers; all of whom are comfortable skiers/snowboarder and will be present for supervision and support. However, these volunteers are not trained ski instructors and will not offer professional instruction. As a reminder, the skill level options are:
- Intermediate 1: Has skied/snowboarded 3-8 times and is comfortable going down green slopes with adult support, but minimal instruction.
- Intermediate 2: Has skied/snowboarded 5 or more times and is comfortable going down blue slopes with adult support, but minimal instruction.
- Advanced: Significant skiing/snowboarding experience and comfortable on black slopes.
- Gear Rental: This is the only event of the OAC year where we require participants to provide their own gear. All participants will be required to bring their own ski or snowboard gear with them to drop off at Tomahawk Ranch on Friday night. If you do not have your own gear, please make arrangements ahead of time. The event letter posted on January 3 will include a complete packing list, as well as links to options for rentals.
- Arrival/ Departure: All participants should plan to attend the full weekend: meet at Tomahawk on Friday night, travel to and from A-Basin on the group bus, and be picked up Sunday morning. We are not able to coordinate families meeting the OAC group at A-Basin on Saturday. We will only allow this in very special circumstances.
Instructions on How to Register:
We also need adult volunteers who are comfortable chaperoning a group of girls on blues or above for Saturday only from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Your ticket to A-Basin is included!
We hope to see you there! Email Anna Danila at firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer or with any questions.
About the Outdoor Adventure Club
The Outdoor Adventure Club (OAC) is GSCO staff-led program for older Girl Scouts offering monthly high adventure activities such as mountain biking, rock climbing, white water rafting, and skiing. Passport sales for the OAC have closed, but girls can register for individual events with single passes. Single event passes for the OAC Explorers (6th grade) are $100/ girl, and single event passes for the OAC Trailblazers are $75/ girl. Sign up at the links below to be notified as soon as single event registration opens for a program:
- OAC Explorers (6th grade) Single Event Interest List: https://gscolorado.formstack.com/forms/oacexplorerssingleevent
- OAC Trailblazers (7th- 12th grade) Single Event Interest List: https://gscolorado.formstack.com/forms/oactrailblazerssingleevent
For more information and to see a list of upcoming events: http://www.girlscoutsofcolorado.org/adventure