Submitted by Sarah Stocking
Jordan, Tanvi, and Ananya from Troop 60846 are making snuffle mats for Aurora Animal Shelter, and they need your help. If anyone makes a snuffle mat for an animal shelter and emails us a picture, then we’ll send you a FREE FUN PATCH! And, you’ll know that you’ve helped a dog in need.
Snuffle mats are enrichment tools for dogs, and other animals, too! They’re made by tying fleece strips to industrial mats, so they’re sturdy and machine washable. Sprinkle food or treats over the mat, and the dogs enjoy searching through the fleece strips for their treats. This is a fun, engaging, stress-reduction tool for the dogs. They love it!
- 12″x 12″ industrial rubber mat
- 112 fleece strips cut 1.5″x 12″ each
We bought the TrafficMASTER 36″x36″ commercial floor mat from Home Depot (cut into 9 pieces). Cost is $26, but that makes 9 snuffle mats.
We got fleece donations such as pajamas, blankets, and material from our neighborhood, so the fleece was free.
How to assemble:
- Copy and paste this link into your browser to watch our video for instructions: youtu.be/UWr4612mqcY
- Double knot each strip of fleece between each pair of adjoining holes in a grid pattern (both vertically and horizontally).
- Send us a picture of you or your troop donating your snuffle mats to a local animal shelter, then we’ll send each of you a FREE FUN PATCH! Send pics, number of patches needed, and your address to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for helping dogs in need! Have fun making snuffle mats!
This story was submitted using the Share Your Stories form. You can share your Girl Scout moments, too.