Congratulations to Marlene Logan! She recently received the Juliette Gordon Low World Friendship Medal, a rare award from Girl Scouts of the USA. The award was presented to Marlene in March 2016 during the 25th Anniversary celebration of Pax Lodge in London. Anita Tiessen, Chief Executive Officer for WAGGGS, presented the award to Marlene.
Marlene was awarded the Juliette Gordon Low World Friendship Medal for her efforts to ensure both girls and adults understand the global dimensions of Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting and have the opportunity to travel while gaining global competency skills.
In a letter to Marlene, Sapreet Kaur Saluja,International Commissioner and Member of the National Board of Directors for Girl Scouts of the USA wrote, “Your work as a global ambassador for GSUSA has provided hundreds of girls with the opportunity to experience firsthand the sisterhood of international Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting. Your successful re-igniting of the Girl Scouts of Colorado Global Action committee has been invaluable to the members of your council and to GSUSA’s global work. Your consistent and fruitful fundraising efforts through the World Foundation of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts has supported the development of important global programs and initiatives. From archivist to trainer to girl-led champion; your hard work, passion and dedication to the global movement has been unwavering and we thank you!”
Marlene’s dedication to Girl Scouts both here in Colorado and worldwide is far reaching. Her current positions include:
- Chair, Girl Scouts of Colorado Global Girl Scouting Committee
- GSUSA Global Action Volunteer (GAV) for GSCO
- GSCO Trainer:
- Extended Trip Travel
- WAGGGS, World Centers & World of Global Girl Scouting
- Planning Team Member, Olave Baden-Powell Society (OB-PS) 2012 Annual Meeting in USA
- Executive Team, Olave Baden-Powell Society
- Member, World Foundation of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts, Inc.
- GSUSA Co-Vice Chair, Friends of Pax Lodge Committee
- WAGGGS Chair, Pax Lodge 25th Anniversary Committee
- Archivist, Pax Lodge and Our Cabana World Centers of World Association of Girl Guides & Girl Scouts (WAGGGS)
- Member, GSCO Juliette Gordon Low Society
Rae Ann Dougherty, fellow recipient of the Juliette Gordon Low World Friendship Medal and Girl Scouts of Colorado Board Member, nominated Marlene for the award and was among those in attendance at the celebration. In the application, Rae Ann wrote, “As a result of Marlene’s leadership, there are more volunteers that have stepped up to advance the value of our global connection, and the importance of ongoing fundraising. As a result, hundreds of girl and adult Girl Scouts and Girl Guides have benefitted from her dedication and commitment to advance our international sisterhood.”
In 2015, Girl Scouts of Colorado presented Marlene with the “Thanks Badge” for her 34 years of service to Girl Scouts.