Tuesday evening, Oct. 20th, Girl Scouts of Colorado honored the 2015 Women of Distinction during the Thin Mint Dinner, which was presented by Western Union, at the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Denver. A group of nearly 450 gathered at the event, held in conjunction with Women of Distinction events statewide. So far this year, these events have raised $225,000 for Girl Scout programs. The 2015 Women of Distinction for the Denver metro-area are:
- Shirley Amore, Retired City Librarian, Denver Public Library
- Kim Bimestefer, President & General Manager, Cigna Mountain States
- Laura J. Davis, Former Director of Environmental, Health & Safety and Systems Safety Engineering, Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp.
- Cheryl Haggstrom, Executive Vice President, Community First Foundation
- L. Hanson, President, Idyll Cravings, LLC
- Djuana Harvell, PhD, be well/be EPIC Project Manager, The Stapleton Foundation for Sustainable Urban Communities
- Tasha L. Jones, Director of Marketing, Forest City Stapleton, Inc.
- Loretta P. Martinez, General Counsel & Secretary to the Board of Trustees, Metropolitan State University of Denver
- Vicki Scott, Program Manager, Aurora Youth Options, Aurora Mental Health Center
- Debbie Trujillo, Community Relations Director, KeyBank
The event was chaired by Women of Distinction Luella Chavez D’Angelo, Chief Communications Officer, The Western Union Company, and Donna Lynne, President, Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Colorado. The honorees were selected by a committee of their peers led by Selection Chair Alice Kelly, 2002 Woman of Distinction. They are shining examples of corporate, civic and philanthropic leadership and serve as role models for our female leaders of tomorrow.
Girl Scout Gold Award recipient Christina Bear inspired the crowd with her keynote. “My Gold Award journey has shown me I can be and AM a leader. Skills I have learned, as a Girl Scout will apply to my future career.” Christina told the crowd.
Since 1997 Girl Scouts of Colorado has recognized 416 Denver area women with this honor. More than $2 million has been raised in 18 years by Women of Distinction for Girl Scout programs.
Major Sponsors include: Presenting Sponsor, Western Union, and Silver Sponsors, UMB and Lockheed Martin. Samoa Sponsors: Arrow Electronics, Davita HealthCare Partners, Delta Dental, EKS&H Management LLC, Forest City Stapleton, Hogan Lovells, Molson Coors and Volunteers of America.
For more information on the Girl Scouts Women of Distinction program, visit our website.