Take the lead on February 22 to celebrate 2019 World Thinking Day with Girl Scouts and Girl Guides from 150 countries! (That’s one big celebration!) Girls also celebrate World Thinking Day throughout the spring.
World Thinking Day originated in 1926. That’s when delegates from around the globe met at Camp Edith Macy—now called Edith Macy Conference Center—in New York state and agreed February 22 would henceforth be known as a special day for Girl Guides and Girl Scouts worldwide.
Every year since, World Thinking Day has called for Girl Scouts and Girl Guides to join and take part in activities that promote changing the world for the better.
Girl Scouts of Colorado’s Global Action Committee put together this list of World Thinking Day Best Practices to help your celebration be the best it can be!
- Form a committee to plan the event and coordinate:
- Finances: venue, patches, Juliette Low World Friendship Fund
- Program content/activities: song, skit, flag
- Setup and takedow
- GSCO Event Calendar (https://www.girlscoutsofcolorado.org/en/for-volunteers/forms-and-resources/activity-posting-request.html)
- GSCO Blog (http://gscoblog.org/share/)
- Use the W.A.G.G.S. World Thinking Day resources (https://www.wagggs.org/en/what-we-do/world-thinking-day/)
- Troops choose a WAGGGS country – http://gscoblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/WAGGGS-Countries-2016-10-18.pdf
- Use GSUSA World Thinking Day resources
- Countdown to Thinking Day Activities (http://gscoblog.org/countdown-to-world-thinking-day/)
- 2019 World Thinking Day Theme & Toolkits (http://gscoblog.org/category/girl-scouts-news/global/0
- Use resources from Girl Scouts of Colorado’s Global Action Committee
- Global blog posts (http://gscoblog.org/category/girl-scouts-news/global/)
- Contact the Global Action Committee at email@example.com
- Use outside resources – for example:
- Country websites
- Community resources such as city festivals – Cinco de Mayo, Chinese New Year celebrations, etc.
- Colleges/university international students and events
- High school exchange students
- Choose a patch (GSUSA Thinking Day Patch, WAGGGS Thinking Day, or own design)
- Who to invite
- Staff, Board Members, Membership Connection Committee (MCC)
- Former Board members, MCC members, and former area staff
- Community members (mayor, council members) and partners
- Global Action Committee