Do you dream of traveling far and wide?
Girl Scout Destinations, open to Cadettes, Seniors and Ambassadors, whisk you to exotic places where you’ll meet girls from all over the world. Now is the time to start thinking about where you’d like to go! Maybe you are interested in hiking Machu Picchu and experiencing Incan culture in Peru or maybe South Africa is more your speed, where you can spend time in Cape Town and on wilderness safari!
Get more information, download the application and check out the 2019and 2020 trip listings here! Round 1 applications are due December 1.
New Gold Award rubrics
Girl Scouts of Colorado is thrilled to publish new Gold Award rubrics for girls around the state to use to make their Gold Award journey successful and rewarding. The document includes a rubric for initial proposal approval and final approval, so girls can understand exactly what is expected of them throughout their Gold Award journey.
Older Girl Leadership Summits
Keep an eye out for both Gold Award Training and Take Action & Highest Awards Training at the Leadership Summit events coming up across the state this fall. Any girl interested in pursuing her Gold Award is required to attend training first, parents and leaders are welcome to attend as well. Highest Awards & Take Action is a general overview of Bronze, Silver, and a bit of Gold.
Girls will also have the opportunity to attend leadership enrichment workshops in:
- Taking ownership of your Girl Scout experience– Whether you are ready to take a stronger leadership role in your troop or planning your experience as a Juliette, this course will take you through the steps to plan, budget and discover money-earning activities to make it all happen.
- Let’s go on an adventure!– What better way to expand your horizons than through experiencing travel. Learn how to prepare yourself for the adventure, what opportunities are available, create a budget for you/your troop, and create a pitch to help gain interest and earn money.
- Using your leadership skills for change – You have been developing leadership skills throughout your Girl Scouts experiences, now is the time to apply them to make the world a better place. Discover how to utilize the skills you have and connect with something you are passionate about to make a plan to create change.
- “Selling” your Girl Scout experience – Participating in Girl Scouts is a unique leadership opportunity that can set you apart from the crowd. Identify those skills that put you at the top, learn how to apply them to your resume or scholarship essays and practice a formal introduction that identifies you as a girl of courage, confidence and character.
Check out our events page for information on registering for a Leadership Summit in your area!
Job shadowing opportunity
A local tech company Gusto has developed an exciting job shadowing opportunity for Seniors and Ambassadors. A lucky 10 girls will participate in a three-part shadowing experience where they will learn what it takes to build and manage a software launch by exploring engineering, product, and design. If this is something that your girl would be interested in, please email Emily Speck.
Application and more information
Show off your STEM skills
We are looking for girls and adults to record short how-to videos for some of the STEM activities. More information and how to participate can be found on the blog.
September 18: OGAB Applications
The Older Girl Advisory Board (OGAB) is seeking new members from all regions. OGAB is a group of 14 girls, grades 9-12, from across Colorado who participate in feedback around Older Girl programming statewide. We are looking for girls who are wanting to grow their leadership experience and turn their experience in action. Ready to apply? Start your application today! Applications and 2 reference letters are due by September 18, 2018.
Questions? Contact Emily Speck
September 30: Highest Award Notification
All girls who have bridged to Cadettes or Seniors have until September 30 to notify GSCO they have earned their Bronze or Silver Award, respectively. Fill out the online Bronze or Silver Award notification form to let us know that your girls have earned a highest award.
What is your secret to success?
Girls will have the unique opportunity to ask that question and more, of top women leaders in a fun and engaging format. Girls in grades 6-12 will connect with Pikes Peak-area professionals in a variety of industries including technology, construction, healthcare, public service, and entrepreneurship. Conversation stations will introduce girls to more than 20 women, and breakout sessions will dive deeper into career options. Online registration and more detailed information coming soon! Contact email@example.com with questions.
SECRETS TO SUCCESS Connecting girls to professional women.
powered by Girl Scouts of Colorado
sponsored by AT&T
hosted by University of Colorado, Colorado Springs
October 20, 2018
8:30 am-12:30 pm
Centennial Hall, UCCS
Are you interested in learning more about older girl travel opportunities? Join us on a fall travel webinar! Watch our events page and blog for more information on how to join these trainings.
- General Travel Webinar: Tuesday, October 2, 6 – 7 p.m. Learn about the variety of travel opportunities available for troops and individual girls. Topics include: troop travel resources, GSUSA travel opportunities, money earning for travel and travel tips.
- Destinations Webinar: Thursday, October 4, 6 – 7 p.m. Learn about the Destination options for 2019 and 2020, review the Destination application process and talk about what to expect on a Destination trip.
Have some burning questions to ask other Girl Scouts? The Older Girl Advisory Board is now accepting questions about Girl Scouts and life as an older Girl Scout. Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org and OGAB will respond to your post on the GSCO blog.
Does your girl want to receive this newsletter in her inbox? Girls 13 and older can fill out this form to have it automatically be sent to them!
Sylvia Acevedo, CEO of Girl Scouts of the USA – Path to the Stars Book Signing
September 11, Littleton
Sylvia Acevedo will discuss and sign Path to the Stars: My Journey from Girl Scout to Rocket Scientist (Clarion Books), her inspiring memoir for young readers about a Latina rocket scientist whose early life was transformed by joining the Girl Scouts and who currently serves as CEO of the Girl Scouts of the USA. Check out our events calendarfor more information.
Older Girl Outdoor Journey Weekend
September 21-23, Sky High Ranch
Cadette spots are SOLD OUT, still openings for Senior and Ambassadors!
Outdoor Adventure Club Trailblazers Magic Sky Overnight with Fishing & Climbing
Save the Date:
Older Girl Leadership Summits
August 25, Colorado Springs
September 8, Loveland
September 29, Denver & Durango
October 13, La Junta
October 20, Grand Junction
Check the events page for more information!
Secrets to Success
October 20, Colorado Springs
January 26, Grand Junction
More details coming soon!
Engineering Day at Colorado School of Mines
November 10, Golden
More details coming soon!