Girl Scouts can earn the Senior Voice for Animals badge at home with help from our Outreach Program team. By earning this badge, you will find out about the complex relationship between animals and humans, so you can make informed choices and help others make them too.
- Step One: Find Out About Domestic Animals
- Step Two: Investigate Animals for Science
- Step Three: Explore Animals in Husbandry
- Step Four: Take a Look at Animals Used for Sports and Entertainment
- Step Five: Look into an Animal Issue
Choose an issue that affects animals and find out more. Don’t forget to take Girl Scouts of the USA’s Internet Safety Pledge first!
Some example issues are below. Feel free to choose one from the list, or one of your own.
- The need for dog and cat neutering
- Hunting and fishing – some is for sport, some for commerce, and some for food
- Pet food recalls– How is pet food developed and made healthy for pets?
- How to assist pets in natural disasters
- How are shelters and zoos being affected by the stay-at-home orders, and what do they need most
- Animals in labs for cosmetic testing
- The role of zoos in animal conservation and endangered species protection
- Bully breed bans
- Animal hoarding
- Treatment of farm animals
- Exotic animals as pets
- Emotional support animals vs. service animals
- How the increased use of ingredients such as palm oil are affecting animals in the wild
- Adopting shelter pets instead of buying from breeders
- Any other topic related to animal welfare that you can think of!
Two Options – Choose one!
Compose an editorial. Present your issue in an opinion article and send it to the local newspaper. You can also post it in your own blog, or on a website devoted to your issue.
Create a public service announcement. Put your audiovisual skills to work and create a two-minute video or slideshow to get your message across.
We want to hear how your girl is using her Girl Scout skills by taking initiative, caring for the community, and Girl Scouting at home. She can send in her story here.