Girl Scouts of Colorado’s Outreach Program team has created a series of materials, including videos, to help Girl Scout Brownies earn their Pets badge at home! Step One was to find out what care different pets need. For Step Two, you’re going learn about keeping pets comfortable, so we’re going to make a cozy cat cave.
- Deep Cardboard Box (with no lid)- You can use different-sized boxes to make a cat cave that works best for the age and breed of your cat. Use the box that will work best for your cat’s needs!
- Long sleeve T-shirt
- One rubber band
- Comfy bedding material (blanket, towel, or even a sweater)
- Begin by stretching your long-sleeved T-shirt around the box, with the neck-hole of the T-shirt facing the open top of the box.
- Next, pull the shirt around the box in such a way that the neckhole of the T-shirt is centered on the top of the box. The neck hole will be the “door” that enables the cat to enter the cave.
- Once you have the “door” of the cave centered on the box, pull the sleeves of the T-shirt tight around the back of the box and secure them together. If the sleeves are long enough, you can tie the sleeves together. Otherwise, just use a rubber-band to connect the two sleeves.
- Finally, place the bedding material inside the box to complete your comfy cat cave. If you have any of your cat’s favorite toys or catnip, you can also put that inside the cave to make it extra welcoming for your furry friend.
We also created a video to help you complete this step of the badge, check it out here.
We want to hear how your girl is using her Girl Scout skills by taking initiative, caring for the community, and Girl Scouting at home. She can send in her story here.